Retro Games Limited have pushed out a new firmware update for both the full size and mini variants of THEC64.
The update for THEC64 mini will add some extra features, extra joystick functionally and a new game, Farming Simulator, to the games carousel. The same upgrade file also adds a few small improvements to the newly released full-size THEC64!
The full list of changes with Firmware 1.3.1. include the following:
- Adds a complete new free game to the GAMES CAROUSEL on THEC64 Mini. Farming Simulator by GIANTS Software GmbH.
- Adds a function to ‘Sort by’ author, composer, genre, year and title (the default) by pressing button A on the Joystick whilst on the HOME screen
- Automatically adjusts the SID audio pitch so that it more correctly matches NTSC and PAL models (called audio scaling).
- Introduces a new filename flag FH (‘fullheight’ when added to the X entity in a cjm file), which squeezes the entire display (including top and bottom borders) into the output image, at the expense of a perfectly scaled rendering at 720p
- Introduces a new filename flag NS (‘noaudioscale’ when added to the X entity in a cjm file), which disables the audio scaling option (sometimes required if sampled sound is adversely affected with audio scaling on)
- Adds an option to Shutdown the device from the Device settings menu, rather than having to press the power button
- Extends the virtual joystick controls, adding other keypresses for highlighting and selecting options and opening and closing THEC64 Mini menu without needing a connected controller
- Includes various firmware optimisations and enhancements since v1.2.0
- Changes the joystick configuration for pre-installed titles on the GAMES CAROUSEL to allow some third-party controllers to now fire using their shoulder triggers
- Improves support for third-party controllers that use axis, hat and stick buttons. You can now map functions to those buttons as well
- Adds compatibility with THEC64 Micro Switch Joystick
- Fixes an issue with Nobby the Aardvark on later levels. Unfortunately, this means that any previous saved games for Nobby the Aardvark are no longer available.
Please note that the upgrade file is the same for both THEC64 Mini (Europe and North America) and THEC64 full-size models, and it auto-detects the hardware and applies the appropriate upgrade for you.
Firmware Update: Retro Games website